What do you do with your ripened bananas? The most popular way to use them up is to make banana bread. And who am I go against the grain especially when the results are consistently sweet and delicious?
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 large ripe bananas, mashed
- One 3.4-ounce box french vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper and grease with butter. I like using Patisserie paper loaf pans when giving out as gifts. They are 6″ x 2″ and you don’t have to grease them. Just pour the batter right in the pan. You can get them on Amazon, World Market, and grocery stores.
- Cut butter into small cubes and melt in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds. If more time is needed heat an additional 15 seconds. Make sure you let the butter cool before adding it to the eggs.
- Add the eggs, sugars, sour cream, and vanilla into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Slowly add cooled melted butter to the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the mashed bananas to the egg mixture and stir to incorporate
- Add the pudding mix, flour, baking soda, cinnamon into the wet mixture and stir until the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet mixture. Make sure you don’t over mix because you’ll end up with a tough loaf of bread.
- Bake the loaf for 60 to 75 minutes , or until the top is golden and the center is no longer jiggly. If you notice the bread getting too dark on the side, tent with foil. If you use the smaller Patisserie loaf you will bake for 30-45 minutes.
- Cool the bread in the pan for 15 minutes before you transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.
- The bread stays moist and delicious for about a week if you keep it in an air tight container.
I love to include muffins in my daughter’s school lunches. I always pack fruit with her lunch but it usually comes back home uneaten. It makes me feel better that she eats some fruit (even in a muffin form). To make muffins, line a muffin pan with liners and fill each cup 2/3 full with the mixture. Bake for 18 – 22 minutes.
Adapted from Averie Cooks‘ Six-Banana Bread recipe