My family is pretty picky about everything, but especially cookies. My picky husband likes his cookies chewy in the center and crispy on the outside. Not too soft in the center. Not too much ginger. Definitely not too crispy. He drives me crazy. So we end up giving my cookies to friends and neighbors who are all too happy to receive homemade cookies. He doesn’t realize how lucky he is to have someone who loves to bake.
So when I bake a batch of cookies he likes I take note to put them in our cookie rotation. Though traditionally a holiday cookie, I love gingerbread year-round. These also make a perfect addition for cookie exchanges.
When I’ve attended cookie exchanges we’ve made four dozen of the same cookies where three dozen are packaged for the exchange and the other dozen is to share during the party. A friend was telling me the cookies exchange she was attending required everyone bring a dozen cookies for each guest. They were at over 20 people the last time we spoke. I LOVE baking but when it becomes a J-O-B my motivation wanes. How do you do your cookie exchanges?
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 – 4 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Scraping the sides of the bowl to ensure you mix all of the butter and sugar thoroughly.
- Beat in the egg, then stir in the vanilla and molasses.
- Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or your hands, shape the dough into even balls. Roll the balls into the sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Using the small ice cream scoop I made 28 cookies. They’ll last about a week in an air-tight container.