I remember the first time I tasted Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter. We had friends visiting from Houston and they brought us (really me) a basket full of Trader Joe’s goodies. At that time Austin didn’t have a Trader Joe’s and they had a feeling I would enjoy all of the goodies they selected. Boy were they right! I had never heard of cookie butter before that day and sometimes I think that would have been better for my waistline. In a matter of 5 days (maybe 3) I had eaten the entire jar. I literally ate a spoonful every time I was in the kitchen. It’s very addicting. I didn’t realize there were other ways to eat this sinful treat. I thought a spoon was the only way.
You can make cheesecake, cookies, and muffins with it, add it to oatmeal, spread it on toast, and an endless list of other tasty treats. We love Rice Krispie Treats and I thought it would elevate them by adding the cookie butter. And I was right! Recently we brought a batch to a friend’s annual Chili Cook-off and I was happy to see people eagerly biting into them and then returning for more.
Grab your ingredients: Rice Krispies Cereal, cookie butter, marshmallows, butter, and vanilla.
Melt 4 tablespoons butter and ¾ cups Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
Once melted add the 10-ounce package of marshmallows. Stir until the marshmallows are fully melted.
It’s almost there. I really wanted to eat spoonfuls of the not-quite ready marshmallow mixture. Doesn’t it look gooey and delicious?
Once the marshmallow mixture is fully incorporated pour over the 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal.
Stir the marshmallow mixture into the cereal until the cereal is fully covered.
I added the sprinkles to the top of the treats before letting them cool off. For thicker treats, I like using the 8×8″pan.
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter
- 1 package (10-oz) marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- Sprinkles, if using
- Spray an 8×8 pan* with cooking spray (I love coconut oil spray); set aside.
- Pour cereal in a large bowl.
- In a large saucepan melt butter and cookie butter over low heat.
- Once melted, add marshmallows and stir constantly until the marshmallows are fully melted and incorporated with the cookie butter mixture.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and stir until all of the cereal is well coated.
- Pour the Rice Krispie mixture into the prepared pan and press down until even.
- Add your sprinkles if you are using.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes before you cut into them.
*You can also use a 13x9x2″ pan if you like thinner Rice Krispies treats.
Adapted from Mallow and Co’s Cookie Butter Rice Krispy Treats
Disclaimer: Please note I use Amazon affiliate links throughout my posts. I hope the content I provide is worthy of a click.