My picky husband has a handful of go-to recipes he makes for our family. My favorite is his spicy grilled steak. I love mine medium-rare and he has perfected it so that it melts in my mouth. He grills us steak for special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries. I savor every bite. When I get a grocery list for Velveeta, ground beef, and Ranch Style Beans I know he is craving his extra spicy queso and/or there is a game (usually football or hockey). He also likes to show off when we have a large get together because everyone loves his queso.
This is not your run of the mill queso with just Velveeta and Rotel. This is a hearty and very spicy queso that is usually substituted out as a meal. With the addition of cayenne, an entire jar of pickled jalapeño peppers, and Jalapeno Velveeta this queso is not for the faint of heart. You can also replace the Jalapeno Velveeta with regular Velveeta and reduce or eliminate the jar of pickled jalapeño peppers. Oh yes … and don’t forget to eliminate the cayenne. It won’t be extra spicy but it’ll still be tasty.
Gather your crock pot and ingredients: Jalapeno Velveeta, Ranch Style beans, ground beef, taco seasoning, cayenne, pickled sliced jalapeño peppers, and milk or half & half.
Our daughter loves helping in the kitchen. We handed her a butter knife and she was able to slice the cheese (no pun intended) and add it to the crock pot which we lined with a slow cooker liner (to make for easy clean-up. Cleaning cheese from anything is a royal pain). While she was helping with the cheese, the Picky Husband browned the ground beef, draining the fat once it finished cooking. Once the fat was drained he added the taco seasoning and cayenne.
Dump the cubed cheese to the crock pot then add the beans, pickled jalapeño peppers (with the juices), and ground beef into the lined crock pot. Give it a good stir and cook on low for 2-3 hours or on high for 1 hour.
After an hour everything is melted and ready to eat. Doesn’t it look cheesy and delicious?! We like ours thick but you can thin it out with either milk or half & half until the desired consistency is reached.
I couldn’t help myself and ate a bite straight from the crock pot. It’s so spicy and cheesy. Cheese is my kryptonite – I can’t stop with just one bite, or two, or … Well you get it!
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne, optional
- 2 pounds (two 16 ounce blocks) Jalapeno Velveeta, cubed
- 1 jar (12 ounce) pickled jalapeño peppers, sliced (our favorite is Trappeys sliced jalapeno peppers)
- 1 can (15 ounce) Ranch Style beans
- ¼ to ½ cup milk or half & half
- Tortilla Chips
- Brown ground beef in a skillet on medium-high heat. Drain fat.
- Season the ground beef with the taco seasoning and cayenne.
- While the ground beef is browning, cube the Jalapeno Velveeta and dump into the crock pot.
- Add the beans, jalapeño peppers, and ground beef into the crock pot and stir until well mixed.
- Melt in the crock pot for 2-3 hours on low or 1 hour on high.
- Stir the contents.
- This queso is thick and delicious. If you want a thinner consistency add milk or half & half until the desired consistency is reached.
- Serve with tortilla chips.