One of our favorite meals is baked ravioli. I love that it takes little effort and contains a boat-load of cheese. My picky husband likes it because it’s simply delicious. He much prefers a smaller ravioli since these hearts are a couple bite-fulls but he understood the sentiment of the hearts and got over it. Baked ravioli goes great with a simple salad. If you are craving even more carbs serve it with Cheesy Crack Bread.
This is the kind of recipe you customize to your taste. I like most things simple so I used jarred marinara sauce and refrigerated raviolis.This recipes calls for five ingredients: ravioli, marinara, heavy whipping cream, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese. We like our sauce creamy so I usually add heavy whipping cream to the marinara but it’s not necessary. You can also add Italian sausage or grilled chicken.
I used to only use pre-packaged shredded cheese but then I read about the cellulose they use to keep the shredded cheese from clumping yuck. Now I opt to shred my own. The taste is night and day and it only takes a few minutes to shred your own. Once you go freshly shredded cheese you won’t go back. My picky husband likes his cheese very finely grated so I use the fine spice grater (the cheese melts like butter). My favorite grater is the coarse grater which gives you the same shred size as the pre-packaged shredded cheese.
While you shred your cheese, have a pot of boil boiling going so you can cook the raviolis for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes drain them well. You don’t wan to cook them all the way through since you are baking them.
Spread ⅓ of the sauce mixture onto the bottom of a baking dish. Top with ⅓ of the raviolis and sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese and ¼ cup mozzarella.
Repeat and on the last layer of the raviolis I carefully sprinkled the remaining ¼ cup mozzarella round the hearts.
Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve immediately and ooh and aah as the cheese oozes. It smells heavenly.
- One (16-ounce) package of your choice of ravioli
- 16 to 24 ounces of your favorite pasta sauce (homemade or jarred – the picky husband prefers Newman’s Own Marinara but they only had the Roasted Garlic at the store. We like our extra saucy so we used the entire jar.)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- .Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook ravioli for 2 minutes, and then drain well.
- In a saucepan, combine your pasta sauce and whipping cream and cook over medium-low heat until heated through.
- Spread ⅓ of the sauce mixture onto the bottom of a baking dish.
- Top with ⅓ of the raviolis and sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese and ¼ cup mozzarella.
- Repeat and on the last layer of the raviolis I carefully sprinkled the remaining ¼ cup mozzarella round the hearts.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
Disclaimer: Please note I use Amazon affiliate links throughout my posts. I hope the content I provide is worthy of a click.