When your old friends (and new ones) are willing to eat your treats off the floor you know you are one lucky girl. You also just confirmed that the Billionaire Krispy treats are pretty amazing if your friends deem them worth saving even with a little dirt on them.
So how did these tempting treats end up on the floor? The latch on my not so trusty travel container failed and the chocolate caramel treats tumbled to the ground with a collective gasp. For a split second I mourned that my friends would not taste these delicious krispy treats. The thought vanished quickly as my dear friend reminded me about the 3 second rule and quickly gobbled one up as he helped put them back in the container.
The Billionaire Krispy Treats start off with a simple rice krispy treat base, followed by a homemade caramel sauce, and topped off with milk chocolate ganache. The crunchiness of the krispy treat is a sharp contrast to the smooth caramel and chocolate ganache. It’s an explosion of sweet goodness in your mouth. I found them difficult to resist and was afraid they weren’t going to make it on our trip.
I was very eager to cut into the bars and initially waited for only an hour. The bars were delicious but very difficult to cut into because the caramel and chocolate were still soft. I highly suggest refrigerating the bars for at least 3 hours or if you are more patient than me let them chill completely over night in the refrigerator. You can see the difference in the first set of pictures in the post versus below which chilled over night. This is a deliciously decadent dessert and is a surefire way to impress your friends.
Krispy Treat Crust
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 package (10-oz) marshmallows
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
For the Caramel
- 1 (14 ounces) can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
For the Ganache Topping
- 6 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 3 ounces heavy cream
For the krispy treat crust:
- Pour cereal in a large bowl.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat.
- Once melted, add marshmallows and stir constantly until the marshmallows are fully melted.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and stir until all of the cereal is well coated.
- Pour the Rice Krispy mixture into the prepared pan and press down until even.
For the caramel:
- Whisk the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, butter, golden syrup, vanilla, and salt together in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Make sure you don’t use a small saucepan or the mixture will boil over and cause a mess. I speak from experience.
- Once the butter has melted and the brown sugar has dissolved attach a candy thermometer to monitor the temperature. The mixture will start to boil. Keep whisking.
- Using a candy thermometer, continue to whisk constantly until the caramel is thick and the temperature gets to 225 degrees F.
- Pour the caramel over the rice krispy crust and cool for 15 minutes.
For the milk chocolate ganache:
- Add milk chocolate chips in a heat safe bowl.
- Heat the heavy whipping cream on the stove top until it comes to a boils. Immediately remove from heat. Optionally you can microwave the heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl in 20 second increments. Make sure you don’t let the heavy whipping cream boil over.
- Pour the warm heavy cream over the milk chocolate chips and slowly stir until the chocolate chips are completely melted and chocolate is shiny.
- Pour milk chocolate ganache over the caramel layer.
- Let the ganache cool in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours before you cut into them, preferably let them cool over night to ensure the chocolate layer is firm.
*You can also use a 13x9x2″ pan if you like thinner krispy treats.
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
Please note I use Amazon affiliate links throughout my posts. I hope the content I provide is worthy of a click.