Cheese balls remind me of the 70’s. I envision parties filled with people wearing bell bottoms with big hair. I’m thinking Boogie Nights with Marky Mark, I mean Mark Wahlberg. I don’t have any memories of the 70’s since I was only a toddler but I do have clear stereotypes of the decade. And fondue, Swedish meatballs, deviled eggs, and cheese balls all fall under stereotypical 70’s appetizers. I have to say they knew what they were doing with a ball of cream cheese and shredded cheddar.
With the addition of bacon, fresh jalapeños, and mini pepperonis this cheese ball is Dyn-no-mite (bonus points for those of you who know what 70’s show is famous for this phrase). I love the crunch and heat of the jalapeños, and the saltiness of the bacon and pepperoni. Everything just works well with the creaminess of the cheeses. This will definitely satisfy your cheesy and salty fix.
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 4 ounces cooked bacon, fat drained, chopped, and cooled
- 3 ounces package Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 ounce bag Mini pepperoni
- In a medium-sized bowl with an electric mixer blend cream cheese, chopped jalapeños, shredded cheese, cooked bacon, ranch seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce until everything is well mixed.
- Transfer the cheese ball mixture to a large piece of plastic wrap. Form the mixture into a ball and wrap tightly with the plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm (about an hour).
- In a shallow dish add the mini pepperoni slices and roll the cheese ball over the mini pepperoni slices until evenly coated.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with crackers.
Inspired by The Recipe Critic
*Update* I made an adorable football shaped cheese ball for a friend’s baby shower. I used the same recipe as above but shaped it as a football versus a ball. I sliced up some white cheddar for the laces.