When my husband and I first started dating I would make him variations of krispy treats. His favorite was the ones with Trix cereal. We’re not big cereal eaters in our house so I rarely go down the cereal aisle at our grocery store. Color me surprised when I saw the NO, NO, NOs on the box of Trix. No corn syrup … YAY! No artificial flavors … YAY! No artificial colors … whoa … wait just one minute. Now how am I supposed to make the brightly colored Trix treats?
After my initial shock and disappointment that Trix cereal no longer has artificial colors I remembered that I am an adult and this is a good thing. But oh how I missed those vibrant colors. The Trix krispy treats are still very pretty in a muted rainbow kind of way. The addition of white chocolate chips gives it additional sweetness and adds contrast to the not as colorful treats. These are still very yummy and my picky husband has been eating one every hour since I made them this morning. (I had to hide them because I made them for friends)
I wish everyone a great St. Patrick’s Day and leave you with this Irish blessing.
Wishing you a rainbow for sunlight after showers.
Miles and miles of Irish smiles for golden happy hours.
Shamrocks at your doorway for luck and laughter too,
And a host of friends that never ends
Each day your whole life through!
- 10 cups Trix Cereal
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) marshmallows
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Spray a 13×9 pan with non-stick cooking spray (I used coconut oil spray); set aside.
- Pour cereal and white chocolate chips in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat.
- Once butter is melted, add marshmallows and vanilla. Stir constantly until the marshmallows are fully melted.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal mixture and quickly stir until all of the cereal and white chocolate chips are well coated.
- Pour the Trix cereal mixture into the prepared pan and press down until even.
- Let them cool for 30 minutes before you cut into them.
Adapted from The 36th Avenue
Please note I use Amazon affiliate links throughout my posts. I hope the content I provide is worthy of a click.