A few weeks ago I made the most amazing chicken chile verde in my Instant Pot and after the first bite I instantly knew I had to make my husband his favorite meal – sour cream enchiladas. My husband is a simple man and his favorite dishes are usually quick and easy to throw together. This doesn’t leave much room for creativity but makes dinnertime very easy. These sour cream enchiladas are no exception and are even easier now with my new chicken chile verde recipe.
If you haven’t noticed we like our food spicy around here and these do have a kick to them with the addition of jalapeno jack cheese. If you can’t handle the heat (or don’t want to) then replace the jalapeno jack cheese with a mild white cheddar or colby jack. When my husband and I first started dating I would make traditional enchiladas. I would warm the corn tortillas in hot oil so that they would be pliable and not break when I rolled them. But then I got lazy and started layering the corn tortillas versus rolling them with the chicken stuffing. My husband didn’t blink an eye because they were still delicious.
Sometimes I get in a rush to get dinner on the table and forget to take important pictures like the real step one and two. Step one is to pour ½ cup of chile verde sauce in the bottom of a dish/pan and then step two is layer the corn tortillas. The picture picks up on the real step three. I tried and promise to document better next time.
As you can see it’s all about the layering. It’s a quick, easy, and tasty meal that is sure to impress your enchilada lover. The sour cream sauce is rich and creamy. I’ve made it with just the green sauce and shredded cheese as the topping (to save calories) and it just wasn’t the same. There is no point in making sour cream chicken enchiladas without the sour cream. My picky husband agrees and exuberantly approves of these enchiladas.
- 3 cups prepared chicken chile verde (or 3 cups rotisserie chicken with 7 ounces (a little less than ½ can so you can use the other half for the sour cream sauce and bottom of the pan) of Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce)
- ½ cup chile verde sauce
- 8-12 corn tortillas
- 8 ounces jalapeno jack cheese, shredded (or mild white cheddar or colby jack if you don’t want them spicy)
- Paprika, optional
Sour Cream Sauce
- ½ cup chile verde sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the sour cream sauce, mix ½ cup chile verde sauce and ½ cup sour cream until well blended; set aside
- In an 8×8 pan or 9×9 pan, add the remaining ½ cup chile verde sauce so that the bottom of the pan is covered with the sauce.
- Place an even layer of corn tortillas over the sauce. Break the corn tortillas apart to fit the empty spaces. (See step 3 in the photo above)
- Spread 1 ½ cups of chicken chile verde evenly over the corn tortillas. (See step 1 in photo above)
- Spread 1/3 of the shredded cheese over the chicken chile verde. (See step 2 in photo above)
- Top the cheese layer with corn tortillas. (See step 3 in photo above)
- Repeat steps 5 thru 7.
- Spread sour cream sauce over the last layer of corn tortillas. (See steps 4 & 5 in photo above)
- Top sour cream sauce with remaining 1/3 cup shredded cheese. (See step 6 in photo above)
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow enchiladas to sit for 10 – 15 minutes before cutting into them.
- Before serving, sprinkle enchiladas with paprika.
- Serve with rice & beans.
Please note I use Amazon affiliate links throughout my posts. I hope the content I provide is worthy of a click.