I barely got the words bacon chicken out of my mouth before my picky husband enthusiastically said “YES!!” Inspired by the Chicken + Bacon at my favorite restaurant, District Kitchen, I wanted to make a chicken dish that is anything but boring for our weeknight dinner without having to eat out.
I made four iterations of this bacon chicken and finally on the fourth try I hit a home run. This recipes combines all of my picky husband’s favorites: jalapeños (really anything spicy), mustard, and bacon. You can adjust the heat by eliminating the jalapeno or by removing the seeds. I find that making the sauce after the chicken is cooked is key to keeping the flavor. Oh. My. Goodness. The sauce is incredibly spicy and delicious.
The spicy mustard bacon sauce complements the juicy chicken thighs. This meal is seriously delicious enough to serve to guests. To We had them with sweet baked beans and a spinach salad. My picky husband said this is on his top three favorite dishes I make and I’m thrilled it’s a cinch to throw together.
- ½ cup spicy brown mustard (our favorite is Gulden's)
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ½ small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced, optional
- 6-8 strips of bacon, uncooked, chopped (I used peppered bacon)
- 1 pound chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Combine spicy brown mustard, paprika, salt and pepper in a small bowl; set aside.
- Spread one-third of the mustard mixture on to each of the chicken thighs; set aside.
- Reserve the other two-thirds of the mustard sauce.
- Turn your Instant Pot on to the “Sauté” mode.
- Add chopped bacon, onions, and jalapeños and sauté until the bacon gets crispy. Stir occasionally. Make sure you keep an eye on the bacon to avoid burning.
- Remove bacon and sautéed onions and jalapeños to a plate lined with a paper towel; set aside. Note: I remove the excess fatty pieces from the bacon and leave only the meat (my picky husband would pick off the fatty pieces while eating so as a good wife I do it for him).
- Slowly add the chicken broth to the Instant Pot.
- Using a wooden spoon, scrap bottom of Instant Pot to remove the brown bits from the bottom of the pan and to release more bacon goodness.
- Place chicken directly in the Instant Pot or place on the steamer rack inside the Instant Pot. If using the steamer rack make sure there is room between the chicken thighs.
- On your Instant Pot, select the “Poultry” mode, which defaults to 15 minutes. Set the top knob to “Sealing” and not “Venting”.
- The Instant Pot will beep at you when it finishes cooking the chicken and sets itself to “Keep Warm” mode.
- You can manually release the pressure if you are ready to eat or you can allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add one-quarter cup of the remaining pan juice to the reserved mustard sauce. Stir and add more pan juice until desired consistency is reached. Add one-quarter to one-half of the reserved bacon to the sauce.
- Pour mustard sauce over the chicken thighs and sprinkle with remaining chopped bacon.
Please note I use Amazon affiliate links throughout my posts. I hope the content I provide is worthy of a click.