My friends and I are thrilled to co-host a baby shower for our special friend expecting a little boy early this summer. We decided on a sports-themed baby shower and I signed up for making a football shaped savory cheese ball and a football shaped dessert. I went back and forth on what flavor I should make for the dessert one. I don’t regret choosing cookies & cream, my thighs regret the decision, but not my tummy.
I love making dessert dips (or dessert cheese balls) because they are easy to make and incredibly tasty. The only difficult part is to remember to set out the cream cheese and butter to soften. As I was eating the dip by the spoonful, I realized that dessert dips are just frosting without the cake. It’s no wonder I love making them so much. You can use this mixture to top cupcakes too.
I loved how the football cheese ball turned out. The laces were a lot fluffier than I planned but it creates a softer more whimsical look. Perfect for a baby shower. I asked my husband if he wanted me to make this during football season. He said to keep it in the bowl as a dip and skip shaping it into a football. He’s no fun!
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup chocolate chips (milk or semi-sweet)
- 1 package (14.3 ounces) Oreo cookies, crushed
- ½ to 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chip
- Shortbread cookies, pretzels, or graham crackers (or a spoon if you don’t want the extra calories of the cookies!)
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter with a mixer until smooth.
- Add powder sugar and vanilla until smooth. Note: if making a football, reserve 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture in a small storage bag.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and crushed Oreo cookies.
- If making a cheese ball,
- line a bowl with plastic wrap and pour cookies & cream mixture into the plastic wrap lined bowl.
- Wrap excess plastic around the cookies & cream mixture to form a ball (or football).
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Press mini semi-sweet chocolate chips into the cheese ball until fully covered.
- Using the reserved cream cheese mixture, snip the corner of the storage bag and add “laces” to the football.
- If making the dip, pour mixture into a serving bowl and top with ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Eat immediately or you can refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
- Serve with shortbread cookies, pretzels, graham crackers, or any favorite cookie.
Adapted from Shugary Sweets