I don’t know about y’all but it is so hot here in Austin. They started counting the number of days we’ve already hit 100 degrees. And they emphasized that we haven’t even gotten to August yet. With the sweltering heat and humidity I’ve retired my oven for the remainder of the summer. I can’t wait to start baking in the fall but until then I’m making treats that don’t require the oven.
If you are a peanut butter and chocolate lover then you are going to flip over these scrumptious Butterfinger chocolate krispy treats. My daughter had her friend over for dinner and I wanted to make something special for them. I’ve had this bag of Butterfinger pieces in our pantry that I’ve been itching to use along with a box of Cocoa Pebbles. I’ve never been a big milk and cereal friend and growing up so the only time I would add milk to my cereal was when it turned the milk into chocolate milk. Drinking the chocolate milk was the best part of having milk and cereal.
After dinner I offered the kids the krispy treats and my daughter’s friend made a face when I said peanut butter. He told his mom that he didn’t like peanut butter which was news to her. She convinced him to try a bite and after two large squares he asked for more. To say I was on cloud 9 was an understatement. I love when family and friends really enjoy the foods and treats I make them. It’s one of the reasons I started this blog. I want to share the foods we love with new friends.
I gave away most of the treats to friends (to avoid eating them all myself) and left three for my picky husband. He was away in beautiful San Diego for work for the week and returned the day after our play date. As he was eating the krispy treat he told me to make sure I wrote this recipe down. It is a winner and I hope you love them too!
For those of you who like to plan ahead, these treats have the perfect color combination for Halloween. I’m filing these away to make for our Halloween party. Can you tell that I’m dreaming of cooler days? Stay cool my friends.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 (10 ounce) bag mini marshmallows
- 5 cups Cocoa Pebbles cereal
- 1 cup Butterfinger pieces (you can get these from your baking aisle or you can crush a few Butterfinger bars)
- 1 cup mini peanut butter cups
- Line a 8x8" or 13x9x2" pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add the creamy peanut butter to the melted butter and stir until fully melted.
- Once melted add the 10-ounce package of marshmallows. Stir until the marshmallows are fully melted.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add the Cocoa Pebbles to the saucepan and stir until the cereal is fully coated.
- Stir in Butterfinger pieces and mini peanut butter cups into the cereal mixture.
- Pour the gooey mixture into the prepared 8x8" or 13x9x2" pan. Using your hands (or a spatula) press the mixture into the pan. I like to spray my hands with a little coconut oil (or butter) to prevent the mixture from sticking to my hands.
- For thicker treats, I prefer using the 8x8" pan.
- Let them cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before cutting into them.
Please note I use Amazon affiliate links throughout my posts. I hope the content I provide is worthy of a click.