Where has the summer gone? After an email reminder, I bought my daughter’s school supplies online yesterday so I can avoid the crazy crowds next month at Target. I remember when the days would drag during the summer and now they zip on by. Oh the perils of getting old. Regardless of your age rice krispy treats are ageless.
In two short days it’ll be the Independence Day and family and friends will gather to watch fireworks and barbecue in their backyards. I was inspired to make these patriotic rice krispy treats after grabbing a couple of bags of the patriotic M&Ms from Target and the cutest red, white, and blue star sprinkles from my local bake shop. I’m planning to make these for Halloween, Christmas, basically any time the seasonal M&Ms available.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10-oz) marshmallows
- 7 cups crispy rice cereal
- ¾ cup M&Ms (I grabbed a bag (or two) of the Patriotic red, white, and blue ones at Target), reserve a couple tablespoons
- ¼ cup sprinkles (my local bake shop had cute red, white, and blue star sprinkles), reserve ½ tablespoons
- Pour cereal in a large bowl.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat.
- Once melted, add marshmallows and stir constantly until the marshmallows are fully melted.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and stir until all of the cereal is well coated.
- Add the M&Ms and sprinkles to the cereal mixture and mix well.
- Pour the Rice Krispy mixture into the prepared pan and press down until even.
- Sprinkle the reserved M&Ms and sprinkles. Gently press them into the rice cereal so they don’t fall off.