Have you ever made something and instantly regretted it after the first bite? I mean these luscious caramel pot de crèmes are decadent and unfortunately easily to make. I say unfortunate because you’ll want to make them frequently. Very frequently.
Although these are easy to make you will need to exercise patience while waiting for them to set in the refrigerator. I admit that I couldn’t wait to dive into this sweet and creamy concoction and ate one before it was ready. It was very tasty but does not compare to the ones that are fully set. Seriously … so much goodness in each bite.
Now I can’t wait to try more pot de crème recipes … I see chocolate, pumpkin, vanilla, and other delicious pot de crèmes in my future. Now grab some heavy whipping cream and your Instant Pot and impress your friends and family.
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sea salt, optional
- Whisk egg yolks in a bowl; set aside.
- Add sugar and water to medium saucepan and stir.
- Boil sugar mixture until it starts to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and let it continue to boil until the mixture turns brown. (Make sure you don’t burn the caramel or you’ll have to start again.)
- Lower heat to medium-low and slowly whisk in cream until the caramel bits are fully dissolved.
- Add a tablespoon of the warm cream mixture to the egg yolks and stir.
- Slowly drizzle the remaining warm cream into the egg yolk mixture while whisking to fully incorporate the cream and egg yolks.
- Add vanilla and stir until mixture is completely smoothed.
- Pour mixture into 4 ramekins or mason jars.
- Add 1 ½ cups water and the trivet (that came with the Instant Pot) to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place the four ramekins on the trivet.
- Select "Manual" mode and press the "-" button until it reads 6 minutes. Also make sure your top knob is set to "Seal" and not "Vent".
- The Instant Pot will beep at you when it finishes cooking the pot de creme and sets itself to “Keep Warm” mode.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally (about 20 minutes).
- Carefully remove the ramekins from the Instant Pot and allow them to cool on the counter before you refrigerate them for at least 4 hours.