It’s been officially fall for over a month now. Regrettably central Texas did not receive that message. There have been a handful of days that the weather teased us that fall is here but the shorts and tank tops we continue to wear tell me otherwise. I’m not a pumpkin spice latte girl because I work from home and I refuse to leave the house for a $7 cup of coffee. Nevertheless, I am a sucker for pumpkin treats. Pumpkin cake, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies, and now pumpkin dulce de leche made in my Instant Pot.
If you’ve made dulce de leche in the Instant Pot you already know how effortless it is to make. You simply pour sweetened condensed milk into mason jars, tightly close the lids, and pour in the water to create the steam. Once the dulce de leche is made you just need to wait until the jars are cool enough to handle (or use an oven mitt if you are impatient like me) and add the pumpkin and spices. That’s literally it … just a bunch of pouring from one container to another. It’s so easy that I don’t think this qualifies as cooking.
For our chili cook off I made a batch of boxed brownie mix and swirled in eight ounces of the pumpkin dulce de leche before baking. Delicious!
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 (8 ounce) canning jars with lid and ring
- ½ cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Divide the sweetened condensed milk equally into the 2 8-ounce canning jars. Tightly close jars with lids and rings.
- Place the stainless steel steam rack in the bottom of the Instant Pot (you don’t want the jars to touch the bottom or sides of the Instant Pot).
- Place the two filled jars on the rack.
- Pour enough water into the Instant Pot so that the water reaches half way up the side of the jars.
- Cover and lock the lid.
- Select “Manual” mode and press the “-” button until it reads 30 minutes. Also make sure to set the top knob to “Sealing” and not “Venting”.
- When the timer beeps turn off the Instant Pot and let the pressure naturally release (wait at least 15 minutes before you release any remaining pressure).
- Using oven mitts carefully remove the jars from the Instant Pot and let cool on the counter for at least 15 minutes before you open.
- Carefully open the mason jars and divide the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla equally into the mason jars.
- Make sure to stir thoroughly to smooth out the dulce de leche.
- Leftover pumpkin dulce de leche will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks (if it lasts that long).
Adapted from Crazy for Crust
Please note I use Amazon affiliate links throughout my posts. I hope the content I provide is worthy of a click.