I love beef and broccoli. It’s great to serve to kids or for people with pickier palates. You can’t get find a more universally loved Chinese take out dish than beef and broccoli. You know I love all things spicy so I add red pepper flakes. You can find a ton of beef and broccoli recipes online but this is my favorite. The flavors are amazing and takes very little effort to make. This is especially true if you use your Instant Pot.
I have accumulated quite a collection of chopstick rests from back in the day when I would have dinner parties. Oh to have all that extra time and energy again. My favorite chopstick rests are the cute cranes. Isn’t he adorable?
I made this dish two different ways to test out how to cook the broccoli. For those who love their broccoli well cooked then I suggest adding the broccoli to the Instant Pot after the beef is finished and then “steaming’ them for 0 minutes. Basically you are just bringing the Instant Pot up to pressure and then quickly releasing the pressure. I love my broccoli crunchy so I also added the broccoli to the Instant Pot after the beef is cooked but then just close the lid and let the residual heat steam the broccoli until they reach the desired crunchiness. If they are too crunchy then you can leave them in the Instant Pot until they are done to your taste. Alternately, you can saute the broccoli in the Instant Pot before cooking the beef and then set it aside until after the beef is done.
- 1 to 1 ½ pounds flank steak, thinly sliced strips cut on the bias
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (olive or avocado)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup beef broth
- 1 pound broccoli bite-size florets
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- Roasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, vegetable oil, ground black pepper, and garlic.
- Add the sliced flank steak to the bowl and let give it a stir with the sauce mixture. Marinate the flank steak sit for at least 10 minutes..
- In a small bowl mix together the oyster sauce, rice wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Once the flank steak is marinated select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot.
- When the Instant Pot is hot add the vegetable oil and quickly brown the flank steak. I add all of the flank steak and let it sit for 30 seconds before giving it a quick stir. You don’t want to fully cook the beef, just brown it a little.
- Add the oyster sauce mixture and the beef broth to the Instant Pot and give it a stir.
- Select “Manual” mode and press the “-” button until it reads 10 minutes. Also make sure to set the top knob to “Sealing” and not “Venting”.
- When the timer beeps let the pressure naturally release (wait at least 15 minutes before you release any remaining pressure).
- Now it’s time to cook your broccoli. If you like your broccoli a little crunchy, you will add it to the Instant Pot and close the lid for two to three minutes. You will leave it on the “Keep Warm” mode.
- If you like your broccoli soft, select “Steam” mode and press the “-” button until it reads 0 minutes. Also make sure to set the top knob to “Sealing” and not “Venting”.
- When the timer beeps turn off the Instant Pot and quickly release the pressure.
- Stir in the sesame oil and roasted sesame seeds. Serve beef and broccoli on its own or over steamed rice.
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Please note I use Amazon affiliate links throughout my posts. I hope the content I provide is worthy of a click.