It’s a wonderful feeling to serve a home cooked meal to my family during the week. I work full-time so I know the time constraint people have when they get home from work after a busy day. The Cuban inspired ropa vieja takes less than 15 minutes of prep time. The Instant Pot works its magic while you enjoy the beautiful fall weather and hang out with your family.
Ropa vieja is Spanish for “old clothes” and is usually made with beef chuck roast and then shredded before serving. To save time, I sliced a flank steak while maintaining all of the yummy flavors of Cuba.
Instead of olives you can add pimentos. There is no heat in this dish so I added the jalapeno stuffed olives to satisfy my need for a fiery dish. It just gives it a little kick. I love modifying recipes to suit my family’s tastes. It may not be an authentic Cuban dish but was certainly inspired by their spices and their love of family. This quick and simple dish is delicious and allows you to feed your family a well deserved home cooked meal.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (avocado, olive)
- 1 ½ - 2 pounds flank steak, cut into thin ½ to 1” strips
- 2 bell peppers, cut into thin strips (I used red and yellow peppers)
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ light beer
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 16 ounces crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup olives or olives stuffed with jalapenos, sliced
- Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot.
- Once the pot is hot, add the flank steak to the pot. Quickly brown the meat for 1 minute. Add the sliced red peppers, onions, and garlic to pot and sauté for another minute with the flank steak.
- Add the paprika, cumin, salt, ground pepper, light beer, chicken broth, and crushed tomatoes to the Instant Pot. Give it a quick stir.
- Select "Manual" mode and press the "-" button until it reads 12 minutes. Also make sure your top knob is set to "Seal" and not "Vent".
- The Instant Pot will beep at you when it finishes cooking the beef and sets itself to “Keep Warm” mode.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally (about 20 minutes).
- Stir in the sliced olives.
- Serve over rice or make a sandwich with Hawaiian Rolls.
Inspired by Ropa Vieja Sliders found in Cuba! Recipes and Stories from the Cuban Kitchen
Please note I use Amazon affiliate links throughout my posts. I hope the content I provide is worthy of a click.